Mastodon: Oblivion Lyrics

Author:
Date: 25 February 2009
Category: MUSIC, NEW
Tagged with: , , ,

This song is an amazing opening track to what is probably the best album of 2009.

I posted this before I realized all the lyrics were already available…so, might as well get em all here

Oblivion by Mastodon

I flew beyond the sun before it was time,

burning all the gold that held me inside my shell.

Waiting for you to pull me back in,

I almost had the world in my sight.

Lost love. Bright eyes fading faster than stars falling.

How can I tell you that I’ve failed?

Tell you I’ve failed…

Falling from grace, cause I’ve been away too long.

Leaving you behind with my lonesome song -

now I’m lost in oblivion.

I tried to burrow a hole into the ground,

breaking all the fingers and the nails from my hand.

The eyes of the child see no wrong.

Ignorant bliss, impending doom.

Mastodon - Oblivion - Single

19 responses to Mastodon: Oblivion Lyrics

• awake says:

this is a fucking great rock album for people who dig pot and melodies blazed from heaven

nuff said

• mike d. says:

seriously, i’ve listened to this song maybe 20 times since last weekend. cannot get it out of my head.

• Othon Von Salza says:

Can´t stop hearing this song!
    It´s fucking amazing!
    Hail Mastodon! Hail Oblivion!

• Jakee says:

Probably one of the greatest opening songs ever. The entire theme of this album is brilliant. I have never heard a better metal album.
    The emotion and the story captured in these songs, especially this one is stunning.

• João says:

First i even don’t like the music but now i can’t get out of my head. Greastest album of Mastodon of all. Deserves the Cup lol for the best Metal album of 2009

Oblivion
    Divinations
    Quintessence
    The Czar
    The Last Baron

The Bests songs for me

Cheers

• Jennifer says:

Holy Crap!
    I really wasn’t a big Mastodon fan until this album. I love the Oblivion track so much I can barely get through the album without replaying it like 5 times. Completely awesome. I had to buy all their albums from Amazon today so I can catch up on what I’ve been missing out on. Can’t wait!

• tony says:

Beautiful and emotional, incredible. Notice the new Moog synth foot pedal ala Geddy Lee. :)

• IRoc says:

I wasn’t a fan before either. Colony of Birchmen was…meh. But this is a friggin masterpiece. Oblivion is so haunting, but it caught me the first time I heard it. Brent Hind has called this their Led Zep IV. I’d have to agree. It is brilliant.

• brenden says:

i love mastodon! i have all their albums!
    the rock soooooooooo hard!!!!

• fatb0yz says:

crack the sky in itself is a story that is meant to be listended in order of first to last. so those who just listen to oblivion over and over are missing out.

• DrRJE says:

agreed.

They should have put some code on the CD that disables the repeat and stop buttons once the album is played…hell, it could disable ALL buttons EXCEPT volume UP :)

• Andrew says:

I freaking love this album.

I’ll admit, I’m a prog-fan. I knew Mastodon had great potential, and was a fan of their free form jazz-like jams they had in the first three albums.

But this puts the icing on the cake. The story line is just beautiful and imaginative.

This album took three listens and an explanation from the drummer to fully understand, but it was well worth it. I love every bit of it.

• Headbanger71 says:

I like to think of this album as “psychedelic metal”.

• Atrophied says:

Amazing masterpiece of an album!!! I love the prog sound. completely brilliant.

P.S colony of birchmen rocks as does all mastodon songs!!!!!

• Jose says:

Saw them last weekend (without knowing them before) and I can’t get this song out of my head. Amazing!

• thomas says:

yeeeeah! like a few others i wasnt a fan til i saw them last week with dethklok. fucking UH-MAZING show. i cant get enough of this album! after witnessing their brilliance first hand ive recommended them to like 50 people… so far.

• TerryDactyl says:

This IS the best record of 2009 (single and album, take your pick)–which, of course, means Adam Lambert will get the Grammy; ‘cuz Mastodon eats his blow-dried smoke, I s’pose LTIPM (laughed ’til I peed myself)

• Mexican says:

i have listened this song at least 20 times since yesterday, i love it, and i will see mastodon on march 3th next year with metallica, yeeah

rocks on!